Entry requirements: The equivalent of English B and 60 credits in Social Sciences or Humanities
Selection: On the basis of previous university credits. Max. 165 credits may be taken into account.
- Cancelled AS13 week 39-44, fulltime100%, day. Application code: SH-42125
Course 7,5 credits
Students develop their knowledge of social and cultural contexts in the English-speaking world, with the aim of extending their intercultural competence. The students reflect on similarities and differences between their own cultural experiences and cultures in English-speaking countries. The course also addresses language variation from a social and contextual perspective, i.e. variation depending on the situation in which English is used.
The course has two main aims: (1) to develop and strengthen the students’ spoken and written English proficiency; (2) to provide knowledge about social and cultural contexts in the English-speaking world.
The below information comes from the syllabus and is valid from: spring semester 2013
The course comprises lectures, seminars and peer learning through group work. The teaching of didactics is integrated throughout the course.
Upon completion of the course, the student is able to:
- demonstrate conceptual understanding of culture and society in the contemporary English-speaking world
- demonstrate an ability to express themselves correctly and with ease, in written and spoken English, appropriately adapted to different audiences
- account for social and cultural contexts in the contemporary English-speaking world
- reflect upon the ways in which social, economic and political factors are related to linguistic and cultural variation
- demonstrate an extended awareness in intercultural competence.
Course examinations are limited to a maximum of five (5) incidences, including the first. Non-attendance is limited to 20% in total and further absence leads to a complete repeating of the course.
The assessment consists of oral presentations, hand-in assignments and a written examination.
Grading criteria will be distributed at course/module start.
The above information and syllabus are based on the most recently validated decision. Any previous versions are available here.
Har du frågor kring denna kurs? Kontakta Utbildningsexpedition Kultur och lärande - MD579 så hjälper vi dig vidare.
Läs mer om vad som finns på Institutionen för kultur och lärande.
På sidorna för Studieinformation hittar du information om studier vid Södertörns högskola, anmälan och antagning, examen, att studera utomlands och mycket mer.